Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Oh Noes! The YLOD on my PS3

I've had 2 RRODs on my 360s, but through all of that my PS3 has been solid.  I was very surprised (and sad) when my PS3 died tonight.

So, my choice is $178 and I get a refurb of my 60GB (yes the backwards compatible one) or $145 and they will send me out a refurb slim.

I think I'm going with the slim.  Bigger HD, uses less power, gives off less heat, and theoretically, is quieter.  I don't need backwards compatibility so that's not a huge deal for me.

Regardless of which I do, it sucks.

Oh, and my new Star Wars the Force Unleashed II disc is stuck in the PS3 as well.

8 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about that. Was your PS3 a launch system? I have the 40GB original model with a larger HDD and it's still running great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine was the 60GB model. Yeah, most folks I know have never had any issues with their PS3s (not like some other console we know). I think this a one of those unfortunate aberrations. Well, at least I'll get a slim now at half off of retail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, that sucks! I sold off my 60GB PS3 earlier this year since I was hearing of a number of people having that problem and I didn't want to be stuck with mine doing that. I bought a 120GB slim with the money I made off selling the old one and still had a decent chunk left.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry dude! What's the ETA on a slim...swap now or a wait until the Holidays? Also, do you get an allowance of extra time for your Dead Space swap?

    ReplyDelete
  5. damn...I hate hearing when systems bite it. Hope your next one has a longer life.

    -Twar of GS.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, my PS3 coffin has been ordered. After soliciting several opinions I opted for the Slim.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not sure how aberrant this is. Recall, I've had one 360 fail and one PS3 fail. Empirically, the 360 seem failure-prone, but the launch PS3s are as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, yes, I know that the YLOD is a known problem, but it doesn't seem to happend nearly as much as the good ol' RROD. I know lots of folks whose release PS3s are still chugging along nicely.

    But yes, it's more unfortunate than it is an aberration.

    ReplyDelete