Tuesday, June 1, 2010

May 2010 in Review

I'm rebooting this site. To kick it off I thought I'd start with a good old fashioned Month in Review. I'll rehash everything I did this month which includes in game acquisitions, achievements, trophies, and overall gaming progress.

You can mouseover images for more info, esp the trophies/achievements.

MAY 2010 OVERALL PROGRESS


Target percentage: 80.00%
Current percentage: 84.88%
Titles needed to or to get to goal: 68

01/01/10 : 1081
Current : 1179
Current : 168
Current : 42

games this year: 115
games this year: 14
games this year: 5
to or this year: 17
Total Games played: 19

Target percentage beat of added titles: 50.00%
Actual percentage beat of added titles: 14.78%


MAY 2010 ACQUISITIONS

Dreamcast

Game Boy Advance

Game Boy Color

GameCube

DS

PlayStation

PlayStation 2

PlayStation 3

PSP

SNES

Wii

Xbox

Xbox 360




MAY 2010 GAMING ACHIEVEMENTS

Games I Beat

MotorStorm: Pacific Rift


Platform: PlayStation 3
Beat: 5/16/2010
Rank: 9
Points: 8500/8500

I beat this game this month but there's still a lot to do. Time trial, getting 1st place on all events, and unlocking all the events. Tons of trophies I could get too. It's a fantasticly fun racing game that takes everything that was great about the first game and kicks it up a notch. I decided before I max this one out I'd tackle Arctic Edge on the PS2.



Need for Speed II


Platform: PlayStation
Beat: 5/24/2010

This was a pretty quick Beat. There are only six tracks so I ran each one with a 1st place win to get the Beat.



May 2010 Xbox Achievements

Total : 26,008
Total May 2010 : 145



Gears of War 2: All Fronts Collection


: 35


Got together and played some horde mode. I hit level 22 and realized that a couple of achievements still hadn't popped up so we ran a private match and knocked out the "No, But His Face Rings a Bell" and "Lost in Transition" achievements. I also realized that I haven't played the deleted chapter yet. I need to get that done.



GUN


: 60


With Red Dead releasing, I thought I'd fire up some of my Westerns. There really aren't that many Western games, which is really a shame. I think it's cause they're hard to do right. Best one I've played so far is LucasArt's Outlaws. Gun is decent so far, we'll see how it pans out.



Halo 3


: 50


Got these two achievement the other when I popped online, joined some friends and then spent a couple of minutes following their directions. Boom, dropped a tank, and then found a skull.

Then we went and played Resistance 2 co-op on the PS3.



PlayStation Trophies

Total Trophies: 466

PSN Level: 9 (37%)

Trophy Breakdown:

344 96 22 4

May 2010 Trophies:

2 0 0 0



MotorStorm: Pacific Rift


April Trophies: 2


I love MotorStorm. I'm taking a break from this one for a bit and focusing on Arctic Edge.



Other Games


Dynasty Warriors 2


Platform: PlayStation 2
Musou Mode with Guan Yu

Dynasty Warriors is one of those go to games that I often find myself playing, but never beating. So I decided I'm going to finally beat a Dynasty Warriors game. I could make it easy and pick a single character and call it beat with a single playthrough with that character but I thought I'd expand it to all the starting characters. So I've beat it with Zhao Yun, and I'm now working on Guan Yu.

It's good mindless beat 'em up action.



Final Fantasy Anniversary Edition


Platform: PlayStation Portable
Play Time 15:46
Location: Mysidian Tower

There's a lot out there who feel that Final Fantasy II is the red-headed stepchild of the Final Fantasy series. I do understand why that is said about the game but I still really enjoy it. The PSP release is, by far, the best release of the game. All new sprites, backgrounds and effects were created for this release and the game looks fantastic. I'm a huge fan of 2D games (I wish that FF III was actually released on the PSP with upgraded art rather than crappy 3D on the DS), and the game really looks great. I'm getting close to the end, so I expect that this game will show up in the Games I Beat section next month.



Final Fantasy X-2


Platform: PlayStation 2
Play Time 55:51
Chapter 5: Farplane Abyss
Completion: 90%
Yuna: 65
Rikku: 67
Paine: 68

Oh I'm soo close now. I really wanted to finish this in May but it looks like it'll be the first game of June. This game turned out a lot better than I had anticipated. It's a nice return to the job system of earlier Final Fantasy games with the addition that you can switch jobs on the fly during battle. The class choices are limited by the currently equipped garment grid, so there are some limitations but overall the system works well. Originally I was targeting a 100% complete run but I missed some stuff so I don't think that is going to happen.

Bummer.



MotorStorm: Arctic Edge


Platform: PlayStation 2
Rank 5
9 Stars
3800 Points
Next Rank at 5300

5/35 Badges
16/24 Vehicles
21/50 Customizations
7/24 Character
3/11 Media

Great game, it's missing a few graphical bells and whistles compared to it's PS3 counterparts but it nailed the feel of MotorStorm.



Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Justice for All


Platform: Nintendo DS
Episode IV: Farewell, My Turnabout
Day 1: Investigation

I've been slowly working through this one, it's been my, "I'm waiting around and have nothing to do while I'm on the go" game. I'm on the last case which is like a big Phoenix Wright reunion with Lotta Hart, Will Powers, and Oldbag showing up. This case seems to have a nice plot twist as well.



That's it for the month of May. I'm looking forward to June, hopefully I'll add some solid retro titles and get some of that backlog knocked out.

2 comments:

  1. What are your thoughts on X-2? I liked the job system and initially the mission based progession, but by midgame I felt I was just bouncing from minigame to minigame and just wanted it to end...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like X-2 but there is a ton of useless stuff to do. All the races in the Calm lands, publicity campaigns, blitzball, etc. I didn't really do any of that. Some of the sidequests I did as they were a bit more interesting and story driven. I did get to a point though where I just knew that I wasn't going to complete the game and I just started working toward the end game. I would guess that at this point I've probably got 1, maybe two nights worth of gaming to finish it off.

    I think the biggest problem with X-2 was Chapter 4. All the commsphere viewing kinda brought the game to a halt. It was a bit jarring.

    Still, overall I like the game.

    ReplyDelete