Saturday, January 14, 2012

The Invasion of the Black Phantom

So today while playing Demon's Souls, I had my first PvP experience and let me tell you it was quite exhilirating.  I'm not a writer, and have never claimed to be, but here is the tale of my fight against the invading Black Phantom.

And yes, I am a nerd.


The Boletarian Palace.  Huge, ominous and menacing.  Once a place of safety and security for the region; now twisted and dark, like the one that inhabits it.

I have fought my way through the palace.  I know I am close.  I am complete; one with my body, full strength and ready to rid the palace of the usurper who has taken the True King's place.  I stand near the Penetrator Archstone, just returning from a trip back to the Nexus, where my soul has been bound for days, months, maybe even years.  Time has no meaning anymore.

This will not be easy.  Even Biorr, of the Twin Fangs was stifled in his attempt to rid the palace of the demons that have overrun it's walls.  What chance then do I have?   Well, better to die and be pulled back to the Nexus than to sit and do nothing.

Through the doorway ahead I can see the archers atop a dragon's corpse.   Beyond them a least 3 Black Phantoms are standing guard.  However, I am wearing a Theif's Ring, and they have not yet seen me.  I opt for a long distance kill to thin the ranks. I nock an arrow and aim for the archer atop of the dragon corpse.  The first arrow hits, and he stumbles back.  I let another arrow fly to ensure he is down.  I repeat the process for the archer to the left, and then to right.   Now it is down to the three Black Phantoms standing guard.

I sling my bow on my back, grab my shield and my Crescent Falchion and move up cautiously trying to ascertain what lies before me.  I can see the 3 Black Phantoms but who knows what else lies in wait around a corner.  As I stand there, planning my attack, I feel a cold sensation wash over me unlike anything I've ever felt before.

Something, or someone, has invaded my world.

I turn to look behind me and there he is, a Black Phantom bearing down on me.   I quickly turn and raise my shield to deflect the incoming blow.  I successfully block, and before the second attack lands, I roll away.   His sword slices through air, unbalancing him.  Before he recovers, I turn and begin my attack, landing a flurry of blows with my Falchion and driving him back.   He retreats and before I let him rest, I quickly pull out my Silver Catalyst and send a half dozen Soul Rays at him to keep him off balance.

I decide to move back to the Penetrator Archstone as that will provide more room to maneuver as well as putting some distance between us and the other Black Phantoms.   The last thing I want is to accidentally bring them into the fray and as the dragon's corpse lies between us and them, they have not yet noticed us.

The Black Phantom is standing still, and I realize that he is praying for a miracle, most likely to heal his wounds after my assualt.  Determined not to let him complete the incantation, I turn to attack once again and just as I am about to connect, I am hit by a wave of energy that throws me back.  Not a miracle of healing then, but an offensive spell. 

I stand up, and see him consuming something, most likely Full or New Moon Grass.  I take the opportunity to do the same and feel the strength of the grass coursing through my body.   As I pause, I note that this Phantom is different, not like the subjugated Black Phantoms I have encountered before.  It is more like the Blue Phantoms that were sent to assist me, capable of free will.  Which means it is all that much more dangerous and unpredictable.  I determine not to let him have another opportunity to heal.

Once again, I take advantage of the distance between us and send a handful of well aimed Soul Ray spells at my attacker, and then as we close the gap, I switch to my Crescent Falchion.   But before I complete the distance he once again calls for a miracle.  I learned my lesson last time and quickly evade away to avoid the blast.  I regain my feet and he is upon me once again.  I quickly evade and then turn to attack.  We trade blows, but my Gloom Armor does well in protecting me.   I can see he is growing weary and use his moment of weakness to my advantage.  I swing up, down, diagonal, and thrust forward, desperate to find a opening.  He blocks my attacks, again and again, but I continue, my arms turning to lead.  My stamina is spent but I continue to press the attack, knowing that he too, must be weary and at last, I see my chance.  His shield is lowered and with all the strength I can muster I bring my Falchion down, sundering his armor and landing the killing blow.   Before my swing is finished, the apparition is dissipates into a blue cloud.

The Black Phantom is no more.


4 comments:

  1. I have to agree that facing down an invader is one of the most awesome things about Demon's Souls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an adventure it must've been, young warrior. It was, dare I say it, on par if not even more glorious than the fabled stories of Lone Wolf!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @usagi704: Yeah, that is easily one of the highlights of the game.

    @HartKnight & Waffle: Thanks!

    ReplyDelete