Saturday, May 7, 2011

This month in collecting - April 2011

Wow this last month went by really fast. I don't know why but for some reason, April has zoomed by. I had a very busy month from a work standpoint, so that probably had a lot to do with it. But who cares about my work, lets get on with the acquisitions!

Below is everything I picked up in the month of April.  Clicky the pics for larger images!

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of the Sky
I love all the box sets that Xseed has been putting out and I obviously could not let this one pass me by. It also helps that I do like The Legend of Heroes so it's a win-win for me.


Just Cause 2
Sandbox games are fast becoming one of my favorite game types and this one just looks fun.   Some of the vids I've seen from (like the last vid on this post) just show what fun you can have with this game.


Venetica
I don't know, it was on sale and someone said it was good (Totalgridlock?) so I got it.


Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
Again, sale.  But I always knew that this game would end up in my collection sooner or later.  As a side note, it's nice when the manual cover isn't an exact replica of the cover art.


Call of Duty: Roads to Victory
I pretty much own every major Call of Duty release and this one has been one of those that I've always thought, "Oh, yeah I need to get that sometime."  Well, it finally became time.

Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection
I have a hard time with this one.   The collector in me says that I should get rid of it and go out and get all the actual games (and a Genesis console) rather than a compilation.  The gamer in me says it will be fine to play on the PS3 cause it'll look sharper and I'll get trophies.


Kingdom Hearts Re:coded
I liked the first two Kingdom Hearts games I played, so yeah, I'm pretty much going to be getting all the Kingdom Hearts games now.



DJ Hero
So I got a free turntable (courtesy of KaiBueno) and I figured that I needed the game to go with it.  Now I do.


Parasite Eve II
Found a nice clean complete copy of this and couldn't pass it up.



Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Though I normally like to get complete copies of games, for some reason all of my SNES are cart only.  This was cart only but a good price so I figured, why not?


Yakuza 3
So's I can get my thuggin' on


Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom
This seems kinda Ico/Shadow of the Colossus-ish.  Hopefully I'm not wrong.


Summon Night: Twin Age
I almost missed some handheld games that I knew I wanted and this was one of them.   Given that Gamestop is now gutting all the used DS games that come in I wanted to make sure I got this complete.

Yggdra Union
I already have this on the GBA but it turned out that it became kinda of a rare title on the PSP.  It was in and out of store real fast so I don't think it had a large production run.  Yeah I know I could get the download version by purchasing Knights of the Nightmare but who wants a download version when you can have the real thing?

Crimson Gem Saga
The sequel to Astonishia Story, I couldn't let this one get away from me.  But I was no longer seeing it new in stores, so the hunt was on.


Tokobot
Can I just tell you I've been searching for a good copy of this for years.  I finally found it for a mere $2.99.  Ding!


Armored Core 3 & 4
I started collecting the Armored Core games a few months ago with the PS2 title Armored Core 2.  I finally came across a clean copies of AC 3 & 4.  I thought that all I needed was AC1 but after a bit of research found that From Software has shoved all sorts of AC games in the cracks of 1, 2, 3, & 4 (and the upcoming 5).  I've still got a long way to go on this series.




Last Rebellion
I don't care that the game has bad reviews.  I want to play it anyway.



Hills and Rivers Remain
Needed a new game for the iPhone.  This was it.



Lost Magic
I passed this up when it first came out but later found out that it is one of those few games that actually used the stylus as part of the real gameplay as opposed to tacking it on for menu navigation or whatever.  Ever since then I've been on the lookout for a good copy.  I found it.



Patapon 2
I told myself that I would never get this game as it was download only.  I was disappointed that it was download only and even briefly toyed with the idea of buying the Patapon 2 voucher from a retail store so I could at least have the box on the shelf.   LAME!  Well imagine how surprised I was when I'm browsing through PSP games in Cleveland and I see a UMD version of Patapon 2.  Score!



Hexyz Force
Again, one of those relatively obscure RPGs that had a small print run.  When I finally got around to getting it, I realized it was not readily available anymore.  Found a new copy while I was up in Cleveland.  Woohoo!


Aqua Aqua
I had never heard of this title until it I saw it in the store.  For $1.99 I figured it I'd take the gamble.  Turns out it is the sequel to the N64 (and later Dreamcast) game Wetrix.  Didn't even know Wetrix had a sequel until I found this.  Now I just need to pick up Wetrix.


Stuntman
Since I started picking up the Driver games, I figured why not Stuntman as well.  So I did.  Now I need Stuntman: Ignition



War of the Monsters
My buddy, PanzerNinja, has been telling me to get this for a while.  I love how the manual looks like an old magazine.




Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection
Final Fantasy IV is one of my favorite 2D Final Fantasies.  I've was really excited about the sequel but it was download only on the Wii.  Not my favorite way to obtain games.  When I heard that FF was getting the clean up treatment like FF 1 & 2 did on the PSP plus The After Years, I was sold.  The game looks fantastic (better than the 3D remake on the DS) and is, in my opinion, the definitive version of IV.



Portal 2

I hear folks saying that this is Game of the Year material.  Well I can't pass that up.  The first Portal was great.




So that's a grand total of 28 games for the month, or by Backloggery standards, 30 (Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection has 3 games on the disc). 

That's it for the month of April!  I'll see you next month for May's totals and Happy Collecting!

6 comments:

  1. While I have never played the original Stuntman, I found Stuntman: Ignition to be a fun time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok. I have half of those. I can appreciate your pursuit in collecting. Check out my vid in this article:

    http://www.lazytechguys.com/reviews/motion-control-shootoff/

    It shows a brief shot of my collection in the vid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @fantasyfacade: Why thank you!

    @usagi704: That's good to hear. It looks fun, not deep gameplay/story but just fun.

    @wafle: Well, I'm sure you'll end up with them eventually. I could say the same about most of your collection as well, ;)

    @Raford: Watched the vid, nice collection you got there. You have it documented online anywhere?

    ReplyDelete
  4. War of the Monsters is especially a good find... whenever I find it it's either in terrible shape or missing pieces or too expensive.

    ReplyDelete